Thursday, May 12, 2022
May 12 is International Nurses Day. To acknowledge this important day, we’ve put together a list of 12 things we think it’s important for you to know about Family Planning nurses:
- Our nurses work at the top of their scope – sexual and reproductive IS what they do.
- We have nurses in 29 clinics and outreach clinics across Aotearoa New Zealand.
- About 80 per cent of all our appointments are with a nurse.
- Our nurses can provide contraception, STI testing and treatment, cervical screening, pregnancy testing, abortion advice, period issues, menopause, HPV vaccinations, and advice for other sexual and reproductive health issues, including what to do if you’ve had unprotected sex.
- Last year, our nurses inserted more than 6,200 IUDs and IUSs.
- More than two thirds of IUD/IUS appointments are done by a nurse.
- In Tauranga and Whangārei, our nurses offer an Early Medical Abortion service.
- 9 of our nurses have trained to deliver phone consultations in support of DECIDE – the national abortion telehealth service.
- Every month, more than 890 cervical screens are taken at our clinics – the vast majority by our nurses.
- Some of our nurses provide professional development and training for other clinicians working in sexual and reproductive health – helping them improve their knowledge of contraception, STI testing and treatment, cervical screening and more.
- 67 per cent of our nurses are nurse prescribers
- 3 of our nurses are nurse practitioners
It’s not just us, here’s what our clients have to say about our nurses:
“I had an appointment on Monday for a cervical smear. Nurse M was the nurse I saw. I recognised her from my daughter's first appointment with Family Planning a year or so ago. Both times, she listened deeply, was respectful and warm, took time to answer all questions and concerns, and everything went smoothly. She was affirming of us both as women and positive about our bodies. Her humour too, was a delight. I think it is a special gift to be so honouring of women at all stages of life and am deeply grateful for Nurse M and for Family Planning offering this.”
“Due to lockdown had to go to Family Planning in Panmure even though I live in West Auckland. Was dreading going out that way but they were the only ones with the earliest appointments. They were so friendly and welcoming…. I had a very uncomfortable procedure today and the nurse who attended to me was just amazing, I’ve been through this procedure before and she cared for me So well and just made me feel so safe and she was soo assuring which was soo different to my last appointment many years ago. Just want to thank them they are truly and amazing team!”
“I just wanted to compliment Nurse C at the Henderson clinic for being such an amazing nurse during my jadelle removal the other day. She helped me feel safe, comfortable and though the process was difficult was able to help me still come out of the process as happy as possible. She worked fast, was always reassuring, and was non-judgemental in the process. Thankyou!”
“Just wanted to say that the nurses from Takapuna were so kind, knowledgeable and lovely to me when I had my consultation and IUD put in. They made me feel really comfy and I can’t recommend them enough. Thank you so much.”
The work of our nurses is critical to improving access to services in sexual and reproductive health – an area of the health system that is often overlooked. The competencies our nurses have today reflect not only what nurses are capable of, but also their value as front-line health care providers.
Family Planning has clinics located throughout New Zealand. Use the clinic finder to find your nearest clinic.