Your health records are held at our clinics and include details from your visits to see our nurses and doctors.
HOW CAN I SEE MY OWN RECORD?
You have the right to ask and be given a copy of your personal health information. Please fill in the form below and supply the required documentation to request your health information.
Request for Health Information Form.
We can refuse your request, but only for very limited reasons which we would explain at the time.
CAN ANYONE ELSE SEE MY RECORDS?
In most cases, we cannot give any information about you to anyone without your permission. This includes your partner, whānau, or friends.
We will only share your information if you have given us permission to do so using the Request for Health Information Form.
There are special times when health information may be given to other people. These include:
- If we get written instructions as part of a legal inquiry
- If you develop cervical cancer, we are required to tell the Government agency which keeps track of cancer numbers
- For us to check the quality of our services to make sure our clients have had the best possible care
- When the Ministry of Health monitors the use of publicly-funded services and medications
- Research that could help many other people.
why do we collect information?
We collect information from you to make sure you are treated correctly and safely. We also collect information for statistics, monitoring and research.
This helps the community to plan and deliver health care.
We will always:
- Keep your information private
- Tell you why the information is necessary
- Tell you who else will have access to your information
The Health Information Private Code 2020 rules how we collect, use and store your information and who is able to see it. This code protects you and the confidentiality of your health records.
SECURITY OF YOUR HEALTH RECORDS
The security of your health record is very important to us.
We hold all health records for 15 years. This means that if it’s been 15 years since you last visited one of our clinics your record will be destroyed by a confidential document destruction service.
HELP US MAINTAIN CLIENT RECORDS
You can help us with this process too – if you know of someone who was once a client at any of our clinics let them know so they can come and talk with us about their records.
TALK TO SOMEONE ABOUT THIS PROCESS
To find out more and to submit requests for information:
Quality and Compliance Advisor
Family Planning National Office
Level 2, 205 Victoria Street, Wellington 6011
P O Box 11 515, Wellington 6142
Family Planning has clinics located throughout New Zealand. Use the clinic finder to find your nearest clinic.