A phone clinic is an appointment over the phone. It is an easy way for you to talk with a nurse:
- You choose a time that suits you
- You don’t have to travel to the clinic
- You don’t have to pay for transport or parking
- You don’t have to worry about child care or getting time off work.
There are many reasons why using our phone clinic might work for you.
WHAT IS A PHONE Clinic?
A phone clinic is when you talk with a nurse on the phone, just like you would if you were at a clinic.
WHAT CAN BE DONE AT A PHONE Clinic?
Here are some of the things that can be done at a phone clinic:
- Getting the emergency contraceptive pill (ECP)
- Getting a prescription for boxes of condoms
- Getting a repeat pill prescription or making a start on the progestogen-only pill (mini pill)
- Pre-appointments for the IUD and implant
- Talking about your contraception options
When you call to make your appointment, ask us if the phone clinic is right for you, or the call taker might suggest it.
HOW DOES A PHONE Clinic WORK?
To book a phone clinic:
- Call us on 0800 372 546 between 8am and 6pm, weekdays. Our phones are also open from 9am until 1pm on Saturday.
- You choose what time you’re available for the nurse to call you and the phone number the nurse can call you on, and your phone clinic will be booked in – just like for an appointment at a clinic.
- The nurse will call you at the agreed time and you will have your appointment on the phone.
WHAT IF I NEED A PRESCRIPTION?
If you need a prescription, the nurse will send it to the pharmacy you choose and you collect it from there. The pharmacy might charge you a 'fax fee', which is usually between $3 and $5, but can sometimes be $10.
HOW MUCH DOES A PHONE Clinic COST?
A phone clinic costs the same as a clinic appointment. Check out our fees and charges page.
If you need to pay for your phone clinic you will need a debit or credit card so you can make your payment over the phone.
Family Planning has clinics located throughout New Zealand. Use the clinic finder to find your nearest clinic.